Thursday, January 7, 2010

Joseph Smith : Rough Stone Rolling

This is my most recent read, so I thought I would start with it.  Richard Bushman is THE expert on Joseph Smith.  You can read more about him here.  He is one of the editors of the Joseph Smith Papers.  This book gave me a realistic picture of the prophet's life.  It showed me that Joseph was a man as well as a prophet.  I feel like I know Joseph much better after this read.  This book may be a bit different that other books you have read about Joseph Smith because it presents the history warts and all.  I personally like his approach because it presents the history as it happened and doesn't smooth over any rough parts.  I came away from this book with a sense that Heavenly Father can take an ordinary boy and turn him into something great.  Joseph was a good man, a decent man, and an honest man, as well as the prophet of the latter-days. 

1 comment:

Emily said...

I might have to read this one. I love Joseph Smith. I have been reading the one called Joseph and Emma by one of their descendents. I will have to share more when I get to the end of it.